Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Summer Bucket List 2011 #1 - check

This year, I made a bucket list.  Basically, it's stuff I want to do this summer so I don't get to Labor Day and think, "I wish we had...".  List item #1 was to watch our friend Rob & the guys from our church play softball.  Rob and his family vacation "way up north" with us in the UP every year and Rob is always sporting his latest team championship t-shirt.  The joke is that Rob ONLY packs shirts that say "Softball Team Champs" 2008, 2009, 2010... etc.  I wanted to see him win the 2011 t-shirt in person.

I decided (as part of my rigorous exercise regime) that I would bike the more-or-less 2 miles to the park with my daughter in the bike seat while my hubby & son met us there via the Ford Freestyle.  The game started at 8 and we were pushing the bedtime meltdown time, but willing to tempt tantrum fate. I started putting Lena in the bike seat, but only to her protests:  "No, mommy.  I no ride on yo bike.  I ride with daddy".  Then Sam, my newly empowered biking-without-training wheels 6 yr old say, "I'll ride with you!!".  I love my kids, but I know what to expect from this kind of proclamation... "I'm tired".  "This hill is too big".  "Can we go home?".  "I can't do this".  So, with a sigh and a bit of dread, I said in my super-encouraging mom voice, "OK, bud... let's go!!" while giving my husband a look and grabbing my cell phone just in case.

What a joy it was to ride with Sam as he biked over and across the hills of Ada.  He didn't complain, he trucked along and did just great.  I try to remind myself that a) summer is fleeting and b) my childrens' childhood is even faster fleeting so... c) savor the moment.  I took a deep breath and smelled the summer air and really seered the memory of bike riding on a beautiful, not too hot summer evening with my best boy.  It was lovely!

The game was fun, even though the TECC boys lost on a "mercy score" of being 10 points under the other team.  It was a beautiful evening with a full moon coming on and a special time with my little family of 4.

Sam biked back home without complaints and got to pet a lost baby raccoon as a fellow biker (the serious type that wears bike shorts) tried to get the little fella back into the woods.

Bucket list item 1 - done. check. Plus I got some really special time with the boy I love the most.

1 comment:

  1. Love the bucket list. And just so you know, there will be no softball championship for the church boys this year since they got bumped up a league. They're now playing much better (read as younger) men than them. :)

    Happy summer to you guys and enjoy checking off that fun list. Love #'s 6,7,8, & 9.

    ReplyDelete