Thursday, January 5, 2012

4. Cook with and Learn to Love a New Vegetable


Cutting up the Squash
 As a child, I had an intense hatred of all things "SQUASH".  My mom would make Acorn Squash and I would sit at the table gagging it down.  So, as a 40 yr old, I still consider myself a hater of squash.  However, I've had butternut squash bisque and liked it.  Hmm... maybe all squashes are not created equally.  Then, I bravely tried acorn squash with maple syrup mixed in.  SHOCKING!  I actually liked it and had seconds.  As part of my goals for 2012, I decided it was time to be a big girl and try some new vegetables and incorporate them into my diet.  So, I'm starting with Butternut Squash.  I found a recipe in the Jan/Feb issue of Cooking Light magazine and decided to give it a whirl.  I went shopping for the squash and couldn't find them.  Finally, I reached the squash department.  Luckily, they come with stickers for people like me who have never purchased such vegetable, and therefore have no idea what they look like.  I made the recipe, Moroccan Chicken and Butternut Squash soup (recipe posted on my food blog: The Swedish Chef and Friends), and I must say... it's delicious.  Next on my journey with my new friend Butternut Squash... mac & cheese!


The finished product (lovely photo courtesy of Cooking Light)







1 comment:

  1. Yum, that sounds delicious. I'm going to have to try that and I'm going to have to send a few recipes your way since I am a love of all things squash. :o) I have an amazing butternut squash risotto recipe.

    ReplyDelete